April 17, 2011

Paris 2 Ancaster

This years P2A was brutal with a side of torrential weather all covered in decadent shredded gnar. It was still a good time though. I was on the 2nd row at the start and managed to be in the top 10 up to the incredibly decisive climb 12km in. From my sheltered yet blocked position I saw Mike Garrigan, last years winner, make a break for freedom. I figured it would surely be chased down, that Mike G! He wasn't and I managed to stay with the head of my current group after the climb and remain there until we were whittled down to 10 with 4 up the road. After some time we had dropped a few guys and only 6 of us were left, Eric Box crushed it on a horrible cross wind section and I was the one who caused the elastic to snap and he and Adam Myserson got away from my group now containing 4. We later passed Adam on the side fixing a flat. After a muddy section where a rider in front of me from the USA had to get off I was left with a small gap to close after running up a hill. I could manage to cross the gap and Nathan fell off them in front of me and helped me chase. After a long hard pull I surged up a steep climb and caught the friendly USA guy, he had been dropped by Wagler and we worked together till the very end and I out sprinted him for 6th overall while also winning the junior category by a comfortable 2m 46s. In the end Garrigan won by 2 minutes and I was a minute back for 2nd and 30 seconds away from 5th. I am happy with my performance and all the fitness gains I obtained through all that suffering. Should be a good one again next year!



Me leading our small group through a strange gated road crossing.
4dab40232cefcPerry Wagler DSC02670.JPG.jpg   

No comments:

Post a Comment